in the USA
ST. NICHOLAS RUSSIAN ORTHODOX CATHEDRAL
|15 East 97 Street
New York, NY 10029
Tel. (877) 431-7348
Tel: (212) 289-1915
Fax: (212) 427-5003
|V. Rev. Hegumen NIKODIM
Secretary to the Representative of the
Moscow Patriarchate in the USA
15 East 97 Street
New York, NY 10029
Phone (212) 996-6638
|V. Rev. Mitered Archpriest ALEXANDER GOLUBOV
Tel: (570) 937-4144
Tel: (732) 928-0914
|Rev. Priest MIKHAIL VLADIMIROV
Tel: (516) 277-1628
|V. Rev. Protodeacon IGOR PANACHEV
|Rev. Deacon RODION SHAMAZOV
Tel: (212) 996-6638
HISTORY AND PRESENT CONDITION
St. Nicholas Patriarchal Cathedral, located at 15 East 97 Street, Manhattan, New York, is the main temple of the Russian Orthodox Church in the Americas. The cathedral was built with the blessing of Patriarch Tikhon, then the Archbishop of Northern America and the Aleut. In 1894 they began fund raising for the construction of the church, but only five years later they had enough money to purchase a plot of land in the heart of New York. Under the circumstances the hierarchy, clergy and laity of the Russian Orthodox Church in America appealed to the Emperor Nicholas II with a request to allow all-Russian fund raising, and that was received in November 1899 and started with the blessing of Holy Righteous John of Kronstadt. The relevant Supreme Decree of the Emperor wrote, "The erection of Saint Nicholas Cathedral is a deed of great public importance."
The following year, the feast of transfer of the relics of St. Nicholas of Myra to Bari, the foundation was laid. Construction works were carried out in 1901-1902, according to the plans of architect John Bergenson. Construction was to be completed in one year, but an unusually cold winter delayed the work. Next spring, when Archbishop Tikhon arrived in New York, the central dome of the cathedral was not built yet. But in one of the side domes 70-pood bell was been installed. On the 20th of July 1902 the first service was celebrated in the basement of the new church.
The architectural style of St. Nicholas' church is a free variation of the Moscow Baroque style. The new-martyr Archpriest Alexander Khotovitsky, who was the first Dean and later Rector of Christ the Savior Cathedral in Moscow and one of the first martyrs of the Bolshevik regime, described the appearance of the cathedral, "The granite steps lead to the entrance, decorated with stone heads of angels. Going into the heavy oak door and walking through the lobby, we find ourselves in the church. My first impression of the interior: an amazing lightness and ease... Semicircular altar has two vestries and two ambos... During the day time the light softly comes inside the church through multi-colored stained glass windows, located in central dome and the side walls of the building."
There are three high arched windows in the pediment. Terracotta murals, decorated with Greek crosses interlocking inside the circles; wide brick pilasters, treated with blue and gold, topped with a small tower each and completed with a dome, which are located at the side of the facade – all this makes the cathedral of St. Nicholas one of the main attractions of New York City, occupying worthy place among the monuments of Orthodox architecture, as well as evidence of the grandeur and beauty of Russia to the American people.The cathedral and the adjacent building of the Representation of the Moscow Patriarchate in the USA are the adornment of East 97th Street and the city as a whole, and that was considered by the Administration of New York, when on December 18, 1973 these two adjacent buildings acquired the status of an architectural masterpiece.
|LITURGICAL LANGUAGE: Church Slavonic, English|